Friday, December 3, 2010

GenerationOn: Teach Your Kids How to Give Back This Holiday Season



I recently received an email from Cara Smith at generationOn.org and discussed a little about the concepts behind the generationOn website. I don't post up everything I get in my email, as you know, but this one caught my attention for several reasons. The first line read:

"This holiday season is an opportunity to inspire kids to get involved in bringing positive change to their communities.  In addition to receiving the gifts of knowledge, self-esteem and empowerment that come with youth service, kids can give back just by joining generationOn at www.generationOn.org."

It caught my attention enough to file it to the "come back later" emails. And, I'm glad that I did. The website is adorable! The concept is perfect for parents who want their child's online experience to be enlightening and enriching. I noticed lists of 65 activities that children can do to make a difference in their community. There is a "What issues do you care about?" vote. There are even areas for parents and teachers to peruse.

So, now you're thinking: great, another website...bla bla bla...

Why You Should Check It Out

If this year is a little tight on the money (hey, we're all feeling that economic crunch!) and you have it in your heart to show your kids the spirit of giving, generationOn and Hasbro and Toys for Tots has teamed up to let you and your kids do just that!




According to the email:

"For every service pledge made between December 3 and December 10, 2010, Hasbro will give a toy to a child in need through the Toys for Tots Holiday Gift Campaign (up to 100,000 total toys)."

Toys for Tots is so dear to my heart, as they have helped my children before when times were rough for us...it was last minute, right before Christmas and when I talked to the Director, he said, "Come right on down and get some gifts for your children.

It's simple to join in the giving this year: go to generationOn.org, have your child make their pledge and a child will receive a toy for Christmas this year. I have 5 children (I think Kodie-Bear is too young...LOL) who can help five other receive gifts this year- it's a valuable pledge for your children AND you help a child in need.

Can you think of a better way to spend time with your child and help another this holiday season? If you find any other programs like this, let me know!


 

1 comment:

  1. I love it!! My son was WAY to young his first Christmas to do anything. Last year, he was probably too young at just over a year, but we took three names from the giving tree and I took pictures of him and the presents as we bought them, and as we delivered them to the drop off spot. Again this year we were not able to find a child his age, do I took a three year old boy who wanted Tonka toys. Mattingly LOVES Tonka. When hubby gets paid next week, we will go to the store together and buy this little boy some if Mattingly's favorite Tonka toys. I only wish that they had the name tags available right before Black Friday. I was able to snag a REALLY cool Talking Chuck Truck for 1/2 off. I got one for Mattingly, and my Godson.

    Giving back to the community is such a rewarding experience that I am thrilled to share with my son. I hope that as he grows, he will find wats to give back in his own special way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!

alt="YOUR TEXT HERE"rel="Facebook image"src="IMAGE URL HERE"style="display:none;">