Friday, December 9, 2011

Ten Things I Won’t Miss About the Holidays


There are some things that I will always miss once the holiday season ends, like having my kids home from their alternative boarding school. I can never have enough time with my children, especially since I recently started an online masters degree program, but having them home for the Holidays never fails to put a smile on my face.

However, the Holiday season also comes with a few trials and tribulations that I could certainly do without.  I will never forget how relieved I was last year when the holidays finally ended and our last house guest said their goodbyes. Although the season itself was certainly fun, I felt like I hadn’t had a single minute to rest in months. 

 With that in mind, here are the top ten things that I won’t miss about the holidays this year.

The Hole in My Wallet

Like all mothers, I want to buy my kids exactly what they want for the holidays. However, sometimes their list includes some pretty pricey items. Even though I put aside money throughout the year for gifts, it still often doesn’t quite cut it when December rolls around. 

The Freezing Weather 

Although cranking the heating up to the max creates that essential cozy holiday atmosphere – it doesn’t help my utilities bill! The cold weather at this time of year definitely leads to expensive bills, especially as elderly relatives visiting always feel the cold that bit more. 

The Icy Roads

Living in a cold state, the roads get super icy every holiday season. This is never an enjoyable experience, but can get particularly hazardous when I tack on the added stress of trying to get to the supermarket before the last turkey sells out.

Crazed Shoppers

If you have ever left holiday gift shopping to the last minute, you will know how crazy the experience can be. From the gridlocked lines in the parking lot to the aggressive cart pushers, it is never an enjoyable way to spend our much deserved time off. 

Traffic

During the holidays, picking your out of town guest up from the local airport can be become a time consuming ordeal. The traffic is generally awful, especially as Christmas day draws closer. Combined with the icy roads, it is the perfect way to opt out of the holiday spirit for a couple of hours. 

Complaining Relatives

Don’t get me wrong, I love having relatives over for the holidays – but boy do they sometimes get grumpy. The house is always too hot or too cold, the dog always smells and they never fail to inform me of better ways that I can cook the holiday food for next year. As if I didn’t have enough to worry about!

Unexpected Guests

It can be a pleasant surprise for an unexpected guest to turn up but it can also be a logistical nightmare. One year I had several friends show up unexpectedly and I had to make a hasty dash to the local grocery store for emergency supplies, which was hardly how I wanted to spend my day. 

Holiday Music

We all love holiday tunes, but do I really want to hear “Last Christmas” for the fiftieth time this December? It seems every store and waiting room enforces its patrons to be subjected to the same generic holiday music cheese year in and year out. Somebody put some new original holiday music out already – please!

Forced Cheerfulness

Despite my complaining, the holidays really can be a great time of year! I love spending time with my kids and family, but the expected 24/7 cheerfulness can get a little grating. Expecting to say “Happy Holidays” with a permanent smile on my face to every person I encounter is no easy task – especially when I am stressed out from trying to keep a full household fed and happy.

Playing Hostess

I am proud to say that I make a very good hostess. I cook all the holiday favorites and go out of my way to make sure that everyone is happy. But as anyone else who has played hostess knows – it is a truly exhausting experience! There are little (if any) points in the day when I get to relax on the couch. On the plus side, it is a great way to avoid pilling on the pounds during the holidays, as I am constantly on my feet.

As you can see, the holidays aren’t always a holly jolly good time. In fact, they can easily feel like more hassle than they’re worth. However, despite my ranting, I am also grateful for the holidays as they are one of the few times in the year that I can spend quality time with both my family and my friends. So this Holiday season, make sure to enjoy that time as much as possible and take solace in the fact that they only come round once a year.



alt="YOUR TEXT HERE"rel="Facebook image"src="IMAGE URL HERE"style="display:none;">