Thursday, December 3, 2015

Facebook Battle Over Anti-Vaxx and Pro-Vaccination - One Comment Shut the Whole Conversation Down

Even though it happened a few weeks ago, I'm still astonished that someone who I consider a close family member actually had the nerve to oppose me on my book promo post!

Any author will tell you that promoting their book is probably the single most difficult thing about writing and publishing a book. Don't get me wrong, every single part of writing, publishing and marketing a book is grueling, however if an author has no marketing experience, the promotion part can feel, at the very least, awkward.

Fortunately, I have a plethora of marketing experience.

So, a few weeks ago, I posted a promo pitch on my Facebook account that had this anti vaccine meme attached:


I understand that childhood vaccinations fall under the touchy subject category, hence the reason it's in my controversial book Breaking the Rules! When you write about controversial issues, you have to be prepared to back up what you say.

And I did. In my book.

Apparently, when you are promoting your controversial book, you have to be prepared to back it up on your promo Facebook posts, too, because one of my cousins decided to try to out me! I could post screenshots, but something tells me not to. I don't know whether it's my professionalism or my love for the family member and friends who commented, but whatever, I have to follow my gut instinct.

Even quoting the comments makes me a bit worried, but if they said it on Facebook for the whole world to see, then I'm sure there's nothing wrong with me quoting them.

Anyway, she said, "I'm not going to be sucked into this one..but I'm willing to bet people like my grandmother would have been grateful at the opportunity to be vaccinated against Polio and other horrific diseases. They are no joke and anti-vaxxers are depending on the vaccinated to keep them healthy and safe. That seems a little hypocritical to me..."

And I answered her as politely as a could with: "Those sentiments are exactly why I wrote what I wrote in my book and backed it all up with cold, hard facts. Misinformation has been spread by the companies who are profiting from the vaccines. They also spend big money covering up the truth - the facts - from us. This is not a joke to me, either."

My next comment, after a few others chimed in was: "Political $$ sweeping truth under the carpet and calling it a coincidence. It's not a secret that, well before vaccines came out, the diseases had already been reduced phenomenally due to increase in sanitation, medicine and health.

But, when it all boils down, going back to the main topic (what I originally posted), yes, parents who vaccinate DO get upset with parents who choose not to...and my point is - WHY?"




The conversation continued on, with people from both sides jumping in and stating their opinion on my book promo post!

A friend from my high school years joined in: "I think it depends on why these parents are choosing vaccines. If it is solely for the health of their own children then I agree...to each their own. But many look at it as a public health duty to protect weaker members of society...for example...we have a friend whose child has to take immunosuppressent drugs. While they let him go to public school, etc. He can be very at risk for any outbreak. Anyway, we have done most vaccines...however...not without questioning safety, efficacy, and what our impacts might be on others."

Safety. Efficacy. Hmmm.

My response: "I do understand that perspective. It's called the 'herd immunity' theory. The hypothesis that if, say, 95% of people are vaccinated, the other 5% will be 'safe' from said disease. However, that's only if the words 'efficacy' and 'protection' were equivalent, which they are not.

"Case in point: Prior to vaccination, mothers were naturally immune to measles and passed that immunity to their infants via placenta and breast milk. Vaccinated mothers may have vaccine immunity, which is not the same immunologically, as natural immunity. One of the major differences in the vaccine-induced immunity is that it cannot be passed from mother to infant. Was it really a disease that caused death and destruction? Hmmm...ask grandparents, but the answer will be no. Not unless we are talking about starving countries. So, now those who cannot be vaccinated also cannot receive the natural immunity from mom, either. Therefore, the "weaker members of society" are screwed because we vaccinate. That's where pro-vaccinators push herd immunity using disease pulled from cadavers and mixed with formaldehyde and anti freeze and anti fungals and everything else we would NEVER approve of injecting into our babies bodies, rather than natural immunity."




Then, one of my dear friends shut the whole conversation down when she commented:

"I have an immuno-compromised child. Even doctors are blindly trying to push vaccinations on him. My oldest is vaccine injured. I do agree with (name removed) saying 'the research was flawed' as in most cases, it is. It is usually biased and funded by greedy corporations that have a hand in the pot. For instance, there is no study done showing the safety or effectiveness of vaccines on people with Down syndrome. When it is shoved down my throat, that I should get him vaccinated, I asked for this information because I cannot find it. Neither can they.

"People think that most that do not vaccinate, do not do any research. Contrary! Because it is so biased, it is more difficult for those Seeking information to navigate through. I have not met anyone who has not educated themselves who has decided not to vaccinate. In fact, most that do are unaware of what is on a package insert."

I couldn't have said it better myself! There is a reason (actually a few reasons) that the entire conversation was shut down. It's because Pro-vaccination "activists" don't really think of the entire picture. They don't think about the children who have been negatively effected by vaccines, nor do they think about the children who absolutely cannot be vaccinated.

Because those cases are kept as quiet as possible.

The truth is, many pro-vaccine parents couldn't even tell you what a vaccine has in it or how they are made. I'm not going to go into all of those details, because I covered them all in Breaking the Rules, and having nine kids, I am sure that I don't have to explain that I despise having to repeat myself over and over again.

I am not implying that pro-vaccination people are stupid or ignorant, but that they have fallen into the trap of accepting "expert" opinion, rather than doing their own research.

Which is my point. It's the point that I make in Breaking the Rules and it's the point that I want all parents to take seriously.

Do your own research.

I say it all of the time, I mention it in my books, and I won't back down from it. We are our children's biggest advocates, and actually, their only advocates. So, we have to make sure that we bypass all of the standardized "rules" of parenting and do what is best for our children, according to the facts, not the "experts."

As far as my cousin, who tried to out me on my promo post, I don't drink the Haterade, so it's all good. After all, she stirred up a buzz on my promo post, and since I've heard that even negative exposure is good exposure, I'm cool with it.




If you liked this post, click on the share buttons. Don't forget to subscribe to stay in the loop. And, if you love books, check out my books in the right hand column.


Thanks for stopping by!


alt="YOUR TEXT HERE"rel="Facebook image"src="IMAGE URL HERE"style="display:none;">