Thursday, June 2, 2011

Baby Gender Predictor: Truth or Myth?

Is it a boy? Is it a girl? Are gender predictors truth or myth?

Being pregnant with my seventh child, I have once again had the privilege of guessing which gender the baby will be. I actually find it quite hilarious, some of the things people do to "predict" the gender of their unborn child...how far would you go to predict the gender of your unborn baby?

The Baking Soda Gender Predictor

One method suggests that you "pee in a cup" and add a teaspoon of baking soda. If the mixture fizzes, you're having a boy and if it doesn't...well, you should have a girl! I haven't tried this one, but I might just do it, to see if it works.

The Chinese Birth Calendar

Lots of women swear by this one! First, find the age that the mother will be when she gives birth to the baby...and then find the month that she conceived. The letter, of course, that is in the corresponding box is "M" for make and "F" for female...the gender of the baby.

Now, to test it for my current pregnancy, I will be 34 (Ugh! That's hard to admit!) when the baby is born and HE was conceived in December, with no question. But, the corresponding letter is..."F"! And, I had a very clear ultrasound a few weeks ago...Hmmmmm....

http://www.webwomb.com/chinesechart.htm
The Drano Gender Predictor

Take your morning pee (just about 2-3 oz - and you may want to wear safety glasses) and then add the same amount of Drano. If it turns into a brownish color and stinky, it's a boy! And, if it does absolutely nothing for about 15-20 seconds, you're having a baby girl! Again, I haven't tried this method before...so I can't vouch for how well it works.

Wives Tales & Quizzes

There has to be a hundred old wives tales that predict the gender of a baby...are you carrying high or low? Which kind of cravings are you having - sweets or sours? Is the hair on your legs growing slower than normal? (how the heck can I tell? LOL) Are you carrying in the front or are you getting thick around the waistline, hips, etc? Is the fetal heart rate fast (over 140 beats per minute) or under 130? Do you have morning sickness just in the morning or all day long?

My pregnancies have all carried similarly, with the same issues and cravings throughout, so do I really believe in the old wives tales? Well, not really, but there's nothing wrong with playing prediction games!

If you like the old wives tales theories and want to take a quick quiz to find out the gender of your baby, there is a short gender prediction quiz at Justmommies.com.

Other Gender Prediction Methods

Then, there are gender prediction kits and DNA prenatal gender tests...to be quite honest, by the time I REALLY wanted to know what the sex of my unborn children were, I was lucky enough to have had an ultrasound...and all of my children were very cooperative! But, for those who have not had the chance to have a "telling" ultrasound or who just want to stay in the dark and keep "predicting" throughout the pregnancy...well, there are a myriad of ways to do it with!


Obviously, I haven't been able to cover all of the different gender prediction methods that are out there...so, which ones have you heard of/used and how well did they work?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!

alt="YOUR TEXT HERE"rel="Facebook image"src="IMAGE URL HERE"style="display:none;">